Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Most Precious Gift

I have never understood why anyone would ask me to teach a class at church.  I don't know nearly enough about the Bible or the Book of Mormon to teach anything...espcially since some of the kids I am teaching know more than I do!  Well as I was finishing up my lesson last night I made the comment to Josh that I really did not like teaching the story of Abraham and Isaac.  I said I simply could not understand how anyone could even consider sacrificing their own child - even if Heavenly Father asked them to.  I have never liked the story of Abraham & Isaac, and I was really disliking the idea of teaching it today.  Then I watched the most amazing PowerPoint presentation (you can watch it here).  I cried so much after reading the comparisons between Abraham & Isaac and Heavenly Father & Jesus Christ.  What hit me hardest was that Heavenly Father was just like Abraham.  They both loved their sons more than their own life.  I understand this kind of love.  The only difference between Abraham and Heavenly Father is that Abraham was spared the task of sacrificing his only son.  Heavenly Father wasn't spared that torture.  He gave up his only son and sacrificed him for US.  What a blessing that is!  I feel so lucky to have been able to teach this lesson today.  I never understood the parallels between those two stories until now and I have so much respect and admiration for our Heavenly Father for offering his son as a sacrifice for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment